Alabama Marriage License

If you're getting married in Alabama, you must first apply for a marriage license. It'll cost you $70.00 to $104.00, and you'll have to use it within 30 days.

Jump to FAQ

Where to go

Where can I get a marriage license?

Alabama marriage licenses are issued on the county level, at the Probate Court, by the Probate Judge.

Where can I use it once I get it?

Your marriage license can be used throughout the state, regardless of which Probate Court you get it from.

Your license is only valid within the borders of Alabama. For instance, you can't get a marriage license from the neighboring state of Mississippi, then use it here—and vice versa.


How much is a marriage license in Alabama?

A marriage license costs approximately $70.00 to 104.00 USD. The cost can vary between each Probate Court, as each county is allowed to set its own price.

I've changed my mind; can I get my money back?

Probate Courts will not issue refunds for unused marriage licenses.


Must we both be present when applying?

Only one party to the marriage must be present when applying for a marriage license.

Waiting periods

Is there a waiting period to get a marriage license?

There is no waiting period to get an Alabama marriage license. You'll get your license the same day you apply for it.

How soon can I get married after getting a license?

You can get married immediately after you receive your marriage license. There is no post-issuance waiting period to abide by before you can have your marriage ceremony.

Expiration dates

When will my marriage license expire?

Your Alabama marriage license will expire 30 days after it's been issued. If you don't get married before time runs out, you'll have to start over and apply for a brand new license.

I need more time; can I get an extension on my license?

Extensions are not provided for expired (or near expiring) marriage licenses. If your license completely expires you must reapply and repay the same $70.00-104.00 application fee, wherein you'll be given 30 more days.

Residency requirements

What are the rules for residents and non-residents?

Whether you're a resident or non-resident of Alabama, the rules are the same; you can apply for a marriage license anywhere in the state. You can then get married anywhere within the state.

Age requirements

How old must I be to get married?

You must be 18 years old (or above) to get married in Alabama without parental consent.

16 to 17 years old

You must obtain the consent of both parents or legal guardians. It's not sufficient if only one parent/guardian acquiesces—both must agree.

15 years old and below

A person who is 15 years old, or below, cannot be issued a marriage license and may not marry.

Identification requirements

What forms of ID must I bring?

There are multiple types of identification to consider bringing when applying for a marriage license at your local Probate Court. They are as follows:

Provide one of the following:

  • Driver's License
    • Issued by any U.S. state or territory
  • State-issued Identification
    • Issued by any U.S. state or territory
  • Passport
    • Issued by any U.S. or foreign government body
  • Military Identification Card
    • Issued by U.S. Armed Forces
  • Military Dependent Identification Card
    • Issued by U.S. Armed Forces
  • Birth Certificate
    • Original or certified copy
    • Issued by any U.S. state or territory
  • Permanent Resident Card
    • Issued by USCIS
    • Also referred to as an Alien Registration Card, Green Card, and Permanent Visa
  • Temporary Resident Card
  • Employment Authorization Document
    • Issued by USCIS
    • Also referred to as an EAD, EAD Card, Form I-766, and Work Permit

Provide the following:

  • Social Security Number
    • Issued by the SSA
    • You don't need to bring you card; just know your number
    • It's understood that non-U.S. citizens are unlikely to have a SSN

If unavailable, provide one of the following:

  • Social Security Administration Written Verification
    • Issued by the SSA
    • The SSA must provide written verification that you do not have a Social Security Number
  • Affidavit of No Social Security Number
    • If you don't have a Social Security Number, you must sign an affidavit stating so

Unacceptable documents (for the sake of clarity):

  • Hospital Certificate

Name Change

How do I go about changing my name due to marriage?

Undergoing a marriage-related name change in the state of Alabama (or any other state) involves notifying various government and non-government institutions. You'll typically start with updating your Social Security Card, driver's license, passport, and other federal/state/non-governmental institutions.

Keep in mind, your name does not automatically and legally change just because you get married or obtain a marriage license or marriage certificate; you must go through the steps of updating your identification documents, whether it's through an online name change service, or contacting the SSA, State Dept. and AL DOR directly.

Blood Tests

Am I required to get a blood test?

No, Alabama does not require you, nor your partner, to get a blood test as a condition for getting a marriage license.


What if I've been previously divorced?

There are two sets of divorce requirements that may pertain to you:

Divorce rule 1

If you've been previously divorced, or have had an annulment or dissolution, there are extra bits of information that you must provide the Probate Judge when applying.

In Alabama, it is unlawful for any person to get married until 60 days after the judgment of divorce is granted. If your divorce was finalized within the past 60 days, you must wait to apply for your marriage license until such time has passed.

Note: This 60 day rule does not apply if you are marrying a former spouse.

Divorce rule 2

If you've been previously divorced, or have had an annulment or dissolution, there are extra bits of information that you must provide the Probate Judge when applying.

For all previous divorces, annulments, and dissolutions, provide the following:

Things you must bring

You will need to provide a copy of your divorce decree (aka divorce certificate). It must be an original or certified copy—not a photocopy. The Probate Judge will not keep your certificate; it just needs to be examined for authenticity, and to confirm your previous marriage is over.

What if I'm separated from my spouse, but not yet divorced?

Alabama law forbids a marriage license be granted to anyone who is currently married or separated from their spouse. You must have your divorce finalized, or marriage annulled, before getting married again.


What if I'm currently a widow or widower?

If your previous marriage left you as a widow or widower, the Probate Court will need to solicit basic information regarding the death of your spouse.

Things you must bring

You must bring the original or certified copy of the death certificate for review. The Probate Judge will hand the death certificate back to you once it's been looked over.


Who's allowed to marry me?

Alabama law recognizes several types of officiants who may legally officiate (i.e., preside over) your marriage. They are as follows:

Religious officiants

  • Minister of the Gospel
  • Pastor of Religious Society
  • Clerk of Religious Society
  • Quaker
  • Mennonite
  • Religious Society Authority

Nonreligious officiants

  • Supreme Court Judge
    • Current or retired
  • Circuit Court Judge
    • Current or retired
  • District Court Judge
    • Current or retired
  • Probate Court Judge
    • Current or retired
  • Civil Appeals Court Judge
    • Current or retired
  • Criminal Appeals Court Judge
    • Current or retired
  • Federal Judge
    • Current or retired


Are witnesses required to attend my marriage ceremony?

Alabama does not require witnesses attend your ceremony. This is a convenience, as most other states do require at least one or two witnesses be present.

Can (or should) I still have witnesses attend?

While you can still have one or more witnesses be present, they won't serve any official purpose or role (during or after the ceremony) in concert with the officiant.

Marriage License Blog

Check out the latest entries from our marriage license blog.

Marriage License Money Goes To?

Apart from imposing penalties and fines on offenders across the divide, states around the country have enacted laws imposing non-offender…

Read more

Premarital Preparation Courses

One of the truths from research is that through premarital preparation courses and programs divorces are reduced and healthy marriages…

Read more

What Exactly Does the Wedding Officiant Do?

The wedding officiant is very critical in a wedding and the choice of one isn't a small decision. The individual plays an important role in…

Read more

Contact us

Send us your questions or comments

Thank You! Your email has been delivered.
An error occured, please try again later!