Arizona Marriage License

If you're getting married in Arizona, you must first apply for a marriage license.
It'll cost you $76.00, and you'll have to use it within one year.

See FAQ Offices

Where to Apply

Where can I obtain a marriage license?

You can apply for an Arizona marriage license at any clerk of the superior court office and some authorized justice courts.


How much does a marriage license cost?

An Arizona marriage license costs $83 no matter where you apply. A covenant marriage license costs the same.


Does my residency make a difference?

Your residency doesn't matter when applying for a marriage license.


Where can I use my marriage license?

Your marriage license is good for use anywhere in Arizona.


What will the marriage license application ask for?

Under oath, the brief application solicits your name, residential address, date of birth, social security number, and that you're not related to each other.


Do we have to apply together?

You and your fiancé must submit your application together, in person. Applying absentee or by proxy is not allowed.

Age Requirements

How old must I be to lawfully marry?

Aged 18 and over?

Adults aged 18 and over can lawfully marry without parental consent.

Aged 16 and 17?

If you're 16 or 17 years old, you can marry if you're legally emancipated or a custodial parent or guardian grants consent in person or through a notarized consent form. Additionally, your fiancé can't be more than three years older than you.

Aged 15 and under?

As of August 3, 2018, minors below the age of 16 can no longer lawfully marry.

Waiting Period

When will I get my marriage license?

Your marriage license will be issued immediately. You can marry anytime afterward.


How long will my marriage license last?

Your marriage license will remain valid for one year after it's issued.


What sort of ID do I have to bring?

Bring ID to verify your age and identity, such as a driver's license, state-issued ID card, military ID card, passport, baptismal record, or birth certificate.

Blood Test

Is a blood test required?

You don't have to get a blood test in order to get a marriage license.


Do I have to bring proof of divorce?

If you're a divorcee, you don't have to bring finalized divorce papers.


Do I have to prove I'm a widow or widower?

If you're a widow or widower, you don't have to bring proof of death.


Are witnesses required at my ceremony?

Two witnesses aged 18 or over must attend your marriage ceremony and sign the bottom marriage certificate portion of the license afterward.

Name Change

How do I change my name after marriage?

Your marriage certificate can be used to legally change your name with the Social Security Administration and Motor Vehicle Services, among others. You can use a marriage name change package to prepare the necessary forms before or after you're married.

License Return

When does my license need to be returned?

Your officiant must return the marriage license to the issuing superior court within 30 days following the marriage ceremony so that it may be recorded.

Marriage Certificate

How do I get a copy of my marriage certificate?

You can purchase a certified copy of your marriage certificate with raised seal for $37.50 from the superior court clerk's office that issued your marriage license. It costs $30.50 if you provide your own self-stamped envelope.

Should I order a certified marriage license, certificate, or affidavit?

In Arizona, a certified marriage license, certified marriage certificate, and certified affidavit of marriage record are different names for the same document.

Common-law Marriage

Can I have a common-law marriage?

You can't establish a common-law marriage in Arizona. However, the state will recognize a common-law marriage lawfully originated in another state.

Cousin Marriage

Can I marry my cousin?

You can marry your first cousin if you're both aged 65 or over, either is proved sterile from a licensed physician's letter, and a superior court judge approves it.

Proxy Marriage

Can I get married by proxy?

You cannot have a proxy stand in for you at the marriage ceremony. You must both be in attendance.

Civil Ceremony

Can I get married in a civil ceremony?

The superior court clerk's office does not perform civil ceremonies. You'll have to independently schedule your ceremony with a justice of the peace.

Office Locations

Where will you apply?


Share your questions or comments


Leave a Comment
  1. When long will my marriage license last? This is BADLY WORDED.

    1. Hi Dale. Thanks for catching the typo. It's been corrected.

  2. Is there a form I can fill out to request a copy of my 'certified' marriage license? It does not appear that I ever received one back in 2002. Thank you.

    1. Hi Roxana. You'll have to get it from the Superior Court. If you specify the county I can see if there's a downloadable form available?

  3. I want to know do you have any recommendations of people who can perform the marriage ceremony or can you give me some web site I can go to and get someone to perform the ceremony. Also do I need to fill out a marriage application.

    1. recommendations of people who can perform the marriage ceremony

      You can ask the superior court clerk for recommendations. They'll likely point you to a justice of the peace.

      Also do I need to fill out a marriage application.

      Yes, of course.

      1. Notary publics can also perform ceremonies, and some places that have a venue (location) just for weddings May have someone on staff to officiate the wedding.

  4. Do I have to bring my social security card in or can I just need to know my social security numbers?

    1. Because I don't have my social right now I need to take another one out I'm currently doing

    2. Hi Jess. You don't have to bring your social security card with you when applying for a marriage license. Just know your number.

  5. What if you partner doesn't have a social security number yet, can you still apply. She is an immigrant.

    1. Hi John. Your partner can leave the SSN section of the application blank if she doesn't have one.

    1. Hi B.Y. It depends. Some offices only accept cash. Which county will you apply in?

  6. How do we both show up to return the license application if he's currently incarcerated?

  7. I am not an American citizen - I'm Australian but plan to travel to Arizona to marry my girlfriend who lives there. Is my passport enough ID? Is there anything else I need to do, like bring my birth certificate?

    1. Is my passport enough ID?

      Yes, your foreign passport is enough.

  8. How can my fiancé and I get married while he is in FCI Tucson Prison? The prison is giving us a hard time, so I am trying to figure it out on my own. I live in California, he is currently in FCI Tucson Prison. Please help we wanna get married.

    1. Hi Natalie. You must contact the prison chaplain for instructions.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

Marriage License Blog

Check out the latest entries from our marriage license blog.