Florida Marriage License

If you're getting married in Florida, you must first apply for a marriage license. It'll cost you $93.50, and you'll have to use it within 60 days.

Jump to FAQ

Where to go

Where can I get a marriage license?

Florida marriage licenses are issued on the county level, at the Circuit Court, by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.

Where can I use it once I get it?

Your marriage license can be used throughout the state, regardless of which Circuit Court you get it from.

Your license is only valid within the borders of Florida. For instance, you can't get a marriage license from the neighboring state of Georgia, then use it here—and vice versa.


How much is a marriage license in Florida?

There are two different price points:

Price 1: Default cost

A marriage license costs exactly $93.50 USD. This price is established by state law and doesn't change no matter where you buy your license.

Price 2: Cost after taking a premarital preparation course for residents

For residents of Florida, if you're willing to undergo a premarital preparation course that the state of Florida recognizes, a marriage license costs exactly $61.00 USD. This is a savings of $32.50; a 35% markdown below the regular fee.

Note: This discounted fee is only available to residents of Florida. Although out-of-state residents can still get a license to marry in Florida, they can't take advantage of this cost savings.

I've changed my mind; can I get my money back?

Circuit Courts will not issue refunds for unused marriage licenses.


Must we both be present when applying?

Both parties to the marriage must appear together when applying for a marriage license.

Waiting periods

Is there a waiting period to get a marriage license?

There is no waiting period to get a Florida marriage license. You'll get your license the same day you apply for it.

How soon can I get married after getting a license?

Florida law requires you to wait three (3) days after getting a marriage license before you're allowed to get married.

Can the waiting period between receiving my license and marrying be waived?

Florida's three day wait time, after receiving your license, can be waived under any of the following two circumstances:

Undue hardship waiver

If it can be shown that Florida's waiting period would impose an undue hardship, you can request a waiver.

Premarital preparation course waiver

If you and your partner both complete a Florida state-recognized premarital preparation course, the waiting period will be waived.

Expiration dates

When will my marriage license expire?

Your Florida marriage license will expire 60 days after it's been issued. If you don't get married before time runs out, you'll have to start over and apply for a brand new license.

I need more time; can I get an extension on my license?

Extensions are not provided for expired (or near expiring) marriage licenses. If your license completely expires you must reapply and repay the same $93.50 application fee, wherein you'll be given 60 more days.

Residency requirements

What are the rules for residents and non-residents?

Whether you're a resident or non-resident of Florida, the rules are the same; you can apply for a marriage license anywhere in the state. You can then get married anywhere within the state.

Age requirements

How old must I be to get married?

You must be 18 years old (or above) to get married in Florida without parental consent.

16 to 17 years old

You must obtain the consent of both parents or legal guardians. It's not sufficient if only one parent/guardian acquiesces—both must agree.

17 years old and below

If you are pregnant, or have given birth, you may be issued a marriage license, even without parental consent.

Be prepared to provide proof of pregnancy (or prior childbirth) to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, such as a certificate or written statement from a:

  • Licensed physician

Identification requirements

What forms of ID must I bring?

There are multiple types of identification to consider bringing when applying for a marriage license at your local Circuit Court. They are as follows:

Provide one of the following:

  • Driver's License
    • Issued by any U.S. state or territory
  • State-issued Identification
  • Passport
    • Issued by any U.S. or foreign government body
  • Military Identification Card
    • Issued by U.S. Armed Forces
  • Military Dependent Identification Card
    • Issued by U.S. Armed Forces
  • Permanent Resident Card
    • Issued by USCIS
    • Also referred to as an Alien Registration Card, Green Card, and Permanent Visa

Provide the following:

  • Social Security Number
    • Issued by the SSA
    • You don't need to bring you card; just know your number
    • It's understood that non-U.S. citizens are unlikely to have a SSN
    • Submitted to child support enforcement agencies; within Florida and out-of-state

If unavailable, provide one of the following:

  • Driver's License
    • Issued by any U.S. state or territory
  • Passport
    • Issued by any U.S. or foreign government body
  • Permanent Resident Card
    • Issued by USCIS
    • Also referred to as an Alien Registration Card, Green Card, and Permanent Visa

Name Change

How do I go about changing my name due to marriage?

Undergoing a marriage-related name change in the state of Florida (or any other state) involves notifying various government and non-government institutions. You'll typically start with updating your Social Security Card, driver's license, passport, and other federal/state/non-governmental institutions.

Keep in mind, your name does not automatically and legally change just because you get married or obtain a marriage license or marriage certificate; you must go through the steps of updating your identification documents, whether it's through an online name change service, or contacting the SSA, State Dept. and FL HSMV directly.

Blood Tests

Am I required to get a blood test?

No, Florida does not require you, nor your partner, to get a blood test as a condition for getting a marriage license.


What if I've been previously divorced?

If you've been previously divorced, or have had an annulment or dissolution, there are extra bits of information that you must provide the Clerk of the Circuit Court when applying.

For all previous divorces, annulments, and dissolutions, provide the following:

Things you must know

You must know the date your divorce, annulment, or dissolution took place.

Things you must bring

You will need to provide a copy of your divorce decree (aka divorce certificate). It must be an original or certified copy—not a photocopy. The Clerk of the Circuit Court will not keep your certificate; it just needs to be examined for authenticity, and to confirm your previous marriage is over.

What if I'm separated from my spouse, but not yet divorced?

Florida law forbids a marriage license be granted to anyone who is currently married or separated from their spouse. You must have your divorce finalized, or marriage annulled, before getting married again.


What if I'm currently a widow or widower?

If your previous marriage left you as a widow or widower, the Circuit Court will need to solicit basic information regarding the death of your spouse.

Things you must know

You must be able to specify the date your spouse died. You must specify where the death took place.

Things you must bring

You must bring the original or certified copy of the death certificate for review. The Clerk of the Circuit Court will hand the death certificate back to you once it's been looked over.


Who's allowed to marry me?

Florida law recognizes several types of officiants who may legally officiate (i.e., preside over) your marriage. They are as follows:


The following clergymen, whom are part of any church or congregation within the state of Florida, can preside over your marriage.

  • Minister
  • Priest
  • Rabbi

Clergymen stand-in

If your church or congregation doesn't have a regular clergyman available, the following representatives whom are part of a Florida state-recognized church/congregation can fill in.

  • Principle Officer
  • Elder

Religious institutions

You can be married by any person who is authorized to perform marriages in the state of Florida, within the following institutions.

  • Wedding Chapel
  • Church

Nonreligious officials

The following secular officiants can solemnize the rights of matrimonial contract. These officials must be judge-appointed. Such officials can only preside over your marriage within their own Florida-designated jurisdiction.

  • Marriage Commissioner
  • Judicial Officer
  • Commissioned Officer of the Salvation Army

Unusual officiant options

Believe it or not, you can actually be married by the following odd type of officiant.

  • Commissioned Officer of the Salvation Army


Are witnesses required to attend my marriage ceremony?

Florida statutes require at least two (2) witnesses be present at your marriage ceremony. They must be "competent" witnesses, meaning they understand what they're observing and appreciate the seriousness of the event.

Whomever officiates your marriage must log the contact information (typically name and address) and signature of each witness.

Note: The officiant does not count as a valid witness.

Marriage License Blog

Check out the latest entries from our marriage license blog.

Marriage License Money Goes To?

Apart from imposing penalties and fines on offenders across the divide, states around the country have enacted laws imposing non-offender…

Read more

Premarital Preparation Courses

One of the truths from research is that through premarital preparation courses and programs divorces are reduced and healthy marriages…

Read more

What Exactly Does the Wedding Officiant Do?

The wedding officiant is very critical in a wedding and the choice of one isn't a small decision. The individual plays an important role in…

Read more

Contact us

Send us your questions or comments

Thank You! Your email has been delivered.
An error occured, please try again later!