Mississippi Marriage License

If you're getting married in Mississippi, you must first apply for a marriage license.
It'll cost you $20.00 to $23.00, plus you'll have an unlimited amount of time to use it, as it won't expire.

See FAQ Offices

Where to Apply

How do I get married in Mississippi?

In order to get married in Mississippi, you must first apply for a Mississippi marriage license at any clerk of the circuit court office.


Do I have to be a resident of Mississippi to apply?

There are no residency requirements. Mississippians and nonresidents are welcome to marry in the state.


How much is a marriage license?

A Mississippi marriage license costs between $20 and $23. The filing fee varies slightly from county to county.


Where can I use my marriage license?

Your Mississippi marriage license is valid for use anywhere in the state.

Can I use a marriage license from another state?

You may only get married in Mississippi with a Mississippi-issued marriage license.


What information will I have to fill out?

The marriage license application will ask for the following:

  • Name
  • Birth surname
  • Age and date of birth
  • State or foreign country of birth
  • Residential address
  • Mailing address
  • Gender
  • Race
  • Employer
  • Occupation
  • Marital history
    • Total previous marriages
    • How and when last marriage ended
  • Highest education completed
    • Elementary to college
  • Social security number
    • If you have one
    • Will be kept confidential
    • Will not appear on license or certificate
  • Phone number
  • Father's name and address
  • Mother's full maiden name and address
  • Guardians' or next of kins' names and addresses
    • If there are no parents
    • For applicants under 21 years of age


What if I'm unable to apply in person?

You and your co-applicant must apply in person, together. Applying absentee is not an option.

What if I can't apply due to disability, imprisonment, or military duty?

Applying in person is mandatory. Exceptions are not made for the disabled, imprisoned, or deployed members of the armed forces.

Age Requirements

How old must I be to marry?

Aged 21 and over?

If you're at or above the age of 21—the age of majority in Mississippi—you do not need parental consent to marry.

Aged 20 and under?

Males aged 17 to 20 and females aged 15 to 20 can marry with their parents' or guardian's consent. Any younger requires court approval.

What are the parental consent rules?

Who grants consent?

Consent for underage marriage is granted by a guardian, custodial parents, sole custodial parent, or next of kin, in that order.

How must consent be granted?

Consent forms, available in the circuit clerk's office, can be completed by the consenting parent or guardian in person or by affidavit.

Must parentage or guardianship be proven?

Divorced or single parents must prove custody. Guardians must prove guardianship. Either must bring ID.

What are the court authorization requirements?

Which court must be petitioned?

Males under the age of 17 and females under the age of 15 must obtain a court order to marry from any Mississippi circuit, county, or chancery court.

Should I apply first or go to court first?

Underage applicants must obtain a court order before applying for a marriage license.

Is parental consent still required if going to court?

Parental consent to marry is mandatory for all underage applicants.

Waiting Period

When will I receive my marriage license?

The three-day waiting period to marry has been eradicated effective July 1, 2012 after passage of Senate Bill 2851.


How long will my marriage license last?

Mississippi marriage licenses do not expire. Unused licenses will not be refunded.


What ID should I bring?

State-sanctioned ID includes a driver's license, military ID card or discharge papers, birth or baptismal certificate, school record, insurance certificate, or life insurance policy.

What if I have insufficient ID?

Circuit clerks can technically accept any legal document proving name and age, such as a passport.

Do I have to bring my birth certificate?

You do not need to bring your birth certificate. However, it can be used for ID.

Do I have to bring my social security card?

You do not need to bring your social security card. Just know your social security number.

Blood Test

Do I have to get a blood test?

You are no longer required to get a blood test for syphilis as of July 1, 2012 after Governor Phil Bryant signed Senate Bill 2851 into law.


Must I show proof of divorce?

Some circuit clerks will ask for a certified copy of your divorce decree, especially if finalized within the past six months.

If recently divorced, do I have to wait to remarry?

There is no waiting period to remarry following a finalized divorce or annulment.


Must I show proof of being widowed?

If widowed, some circuit clerks will request a certified copy of your late spouse's death certificate.

Name Change

How do I change my name after marriage?

A certified copy of your marriage certificate permits you to legally change your name after marriage. You may use an online name change application to help complete necessary paperwork.


Are witnesses required at my ceremony?

Witnesses are not required to attend your marriage ceremony.

The Ceremony

Who can perform my marriage?

You marriage can be solemnized by a judge, justice, or person authorized by a religious society, body, institution, or organization.

Can I get married in the circuit court clerk's office?

Although circuit court clerks do not solemnize marriages, they can likely refer you to a judge or justice who does.

License Return

When must my marriage license be returned?

Your completed marriage license must be returned to the issuing circuit court for recording within five days of marriage.

Marriage Certificate

How do I get a copy of my marriage certificate?

Ordering from the state?

Certified copies of birth, death, divorce, and marriage records are available at Mississippi's vital records office for $17. Additional copies are $6 each.

Ordering from the circuit clerk?

Circuit clerks sell certified copies of marriage certificates they recorded for $16 to 17. Birth, death, and divorce records are not offered.

Proxy Marriage

Can I get married by proxy?

Mississippi law does not allow marriage by proxy, phone, or intermediary.

Prohibited Marriage

Can I marry my first cousin?

You cannot marry a family member within two degrees of separation. This includes first cousins, stepparents, and stepsiblings.

Common-law Marriage

Can I establish a common-law marriage?

It hasn't been possible to establish a common-law marriage in Mississippi since April 5, 1956.

Would my out-of-state common-law marriage be recognized?

Mississippi does recognize common-law marriages lawfully established in other states.

Office Locations

Where will you apply?


Share your questions or comments


Leave a Comment
  1. We are looking for a person who can solemnize our marriage in the Biloxi/Gulport area. We need the names of some people or judges or whomever who could do this between the days of May 22nd and May 27th.

    We will have a Mississippi marriage license that we will use after we get it there. We don't need a place so much as we need a person who can marry us.

    1. We are looking for a person who can solemnize our marriage in the Biloxi/Gulport area.

      Contact the Harrison County Circuit Clerk for a list of available judges. You may phone the Gulfport office at (228) 865-4051 or the Biloxi office at (228) 435-8233.

  2. does mississippi reconzies same sex marriagre

    1. Hi Alex. Same-sex marriage is legal and recognized in Mississippi.

  3. We are looking for a person who can solemnize our marriage in Poplarville?

  4. After the three day waiting period, do we have to go pick it up or can they mail us the marriage license? Also, can someone else drop the marriage license back off after we get married? Or can it be mailed back?

    1. After the three day waiting period, do we have to go pick it up or can they mail us the marriage license?

      There is no longer a waiting period. It was eliminated in 2012.

      Also, can someone else drop the marriage license back off after we get married?

      Mississippi's vital statistics statutes says the person who performs your marriage ceremony must return your completed marriage license.

  5. Is there a judge in Grenada County or a nearby county that will perform marriage ceremonyDor

    1. Hi Doris. You'll have to contact the Grenada County clerk of the circuit court office for a referral or recommendation.

  6. Do you have to apply for the license in your county of residence?

    1. Hi Cynthia. You can get married the same day. There's no longer a waiting period.

  7. We are looking for a person who can solemnize our marriage in the Southaven/Olive Branch area. The DeSoto county

    1. Hi Jennifer. Consider calling your circuit clerk for a referral.

  8. How would I go about getting married if neither set of parents lives in the state and I also have kids before 21? I will be 20 in 3 months.

    1. Hi Koralin. When you say "neither set of parents lives in the state" are you referring to you (the parent) or your parents? If it's the prior, you needn't live in Mississippi to marry there. But you must still fulfill all requirements, as residents do. If it's the latter, your parent can provide consent from afar through an affidavit.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

Marriage License Blog

Check out the latest entries from our marriage license blog.