Oklahoma Marriage License

If you're getting married in Oklahoma, you must first apply for a marriage license.
It'll cost you $50.00, and you'll have to use it within 30 days.

See FAQ Offices

Where to Apply

How can I get married in Oklahoma?

In order to get married in Oklahoma, you must first apply for an Oklahoma marriage license at the court clerk's office at any district court.


Are there any residency requirements?

There are no residency requirements for getting a marriage license.


How much is a marriage license?

An Oklahoma marriage license costs $50. It can be gotten for $5 if you complete premarital counseling.


Where can I use my marriage license?

Your Oklahoma marriage license can be used anywhere in the state. It's only usable in Oklahoma.

Can I use a marriage license from another state or country?

You can only get married in Oklahoma with a bona fide Oklahoma marriage license.


What information will I have to fill out?

The Oklahoma marriage license application is brief, merely asking your name, age, residence, social security number, and preferred name after marriage.


Do I have to apply in person?

You and your prospective spouse must apply for a marriage license in person together.

Age Requirements

How old must I be to get married?

Aged 18 and over?

If you're at least 18 years old, you're free to marry without parental consent.

Aged 16 and 17?

If you're 16 or 17 years old, you can marry with the consent of a parent or guardian. Consent can be granted in person or by affidavit.

Aged 15 and under?

If you're 15 years old or younger, you can only marry with a court order from a district court judge. There'll be a hearing. Parents may be called upon.

What must a consenting parent or guardian do?

A divorced parent must prove custody. A guardian must prove guardianship. Either must show identification.

Premarital Education

What's the financial advantage of premarital counseling?

Four hours of premarital counseling drops the marriage license fee from $50 to $5. The signed certificate of completion must be less than six months old.

Waiting Period

When will I receive my license?

Wait time for adults?

If you're 18 years old or older, you'll receive your marriage license immediately. You can marry the same day.

Wait time for minors?

If you're 17 years old or younger, your marriage license will be issued 72 hours after applying. You can marry anytime after receipt.


How long will my marriage license last?

Your marriage license will remain valid for 30 days, which includes the day of issuance.

Update: Starting November 1, 2022, the expiration period extends from 10 days to 30 days.


Do I need to bring ID?

Bring identification that proves your age, such as a certified copy of your birth certificate, driver's license, passport, visa, or other government-issued credential.

Note: Some offices require supporting photo ID if using your birth certificate to verify age.

Will foreign ID be accepted?

Foreign identification not in English must be accompanied by an English translation.

Do I have to bring my birth certificate?

Some court clerks require minors to bring a certified copy of their birth certificate in addition to photo ID.

Do I have to bring my social security card?

You do not have to bring your social security card. However, the marriage application requires your social security number.

Blood Test

Do I have to get a blood test?

The blood test before marriage requirement hasn't been in effect since January 1, 2005.


Are there special requirements for divorcees?

If you were divorced in Oklahoma, you cannot marry within six months following divorce, unless you're marrying your prior spouse. Everyone else, bring a certified copy of your decree of dissolution of marriage.


Do I have to verify my spouse's death?

If your last marriage left you a widow or widower, bring a certified copy of your former spouse's death certificate.

Name Change

How do I change my name due to marriage?

If you want to change your name because of marriage, use your marriage certificate to compel the necessary institutions to update your name on file. You can use an online name change tool to streamline the process.


Do I have to supply witnesses?

Two competent adult witnesses must be present at your marriage ceremony.

The Ceremony

Who can preside over my marriage ceremony?

Oklahoma judges (active or retired) can solemnize marriages; religious officials can too if authorized by their denomination.

Can someone from out-of-state solemnize my marriage?

An out-of-state clergyperson can preside over your marriage.

Can we preside over our own marriage?

You cannot carry out a self-solemnized marriage ceremony, where you serve as your own officiant.

Does the officiant need to register their credentials?

As of November 1, 2022, ministers are no longer required to register their credentials with a county clerk to perform marriages in that county.

Does the court clerk's office facilitate civil ceremonies?

You must make your own civil ceremony marriage arrangements. However, the court clerk may be able to provide a reference.

License Return

When must the marriage license be returned?

Your completed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office for recording no later than five days after the ceremony.

Marriage Certificate

How can I get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?

Certified copies of your marriage certificate (a.k.a. certificate of marriage) can be gotten from the court clerk's office that issued your marriage license.

Proxy Marriage

I'm unavailable, so can I get married by proxy?

Oklahoma does not allow marriage-by-proxy. You cannot employ a fill-in. You must physically attend your marriage ceremony.

Prohibited Marriage

Can I marry my cousin?

First cousins cannot get married in Oklahoma. But such a marriage lawfully established outside the state would be recognized.

Can I marry a family member?

Oklahoma does not permit marriage among descendants and ascendants of any degree. This extends to brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews.

Common-law Marriage

Does Oklahoma recognize common-law marriage?

Oklahoma's recognition of common-law marriage is ambiguous at best. Attempts by lawmakers to explicitly abolish it have failed.

Office Locations

Where will you apply?


Share your questions or comments


Leave a Comment
  1. Please help us we are nor able to attend a public office in person but have the proper credentials and witnesses to make it official. Please send us the documentation to make it legal.

    1. It's an emergency please.

    2. we are nor able to attend a public office

      Unfortunately, you must apply in person.

  2. Can I get married after I get my license at the same place?

  3. Hi, how do I provide my credentials to become an officiant in Kiowa county? What credentials are needed?

      1. Thank you! I still don't see what I have to provide or how to provide them but I'll call the number listed on the website to see if I can get more info.

  4. My husband and I have been together 16yrs although he is legally still married to his first wife. His first wife recently passed away and we were wondering if there's a time limit that he has to wait before he can get remarried?

    1. wondering if there's a time limit that he has to wait before he can get remarried?

      There's no time limit. He will want to make sure to bring a certified copy of his prior spouse's death certificate when applying for the marriage license.

  5. I see that a divorce decree is needed to get a marriage license. What happens when a marriage license is given and filed to a person who is NOT divorced, license given 4 days before death and then filed after his death? There was no divorce decree. Ever.

    1. Hi Katherine. I'm not clear on the sequence of events. If a divorce decree exists at the time of application, you would bring it. If a death certificate exists, you would bring that. If there's an in-between period, you'll want to explain that to the county clerk.

  6. Am I able to get married the same day as I get the marriage license In Oklahoma County?

    1. Hi Kourtney. If you're at least 18 years old, you can get married the same day. But keep in mind, no one at the courthouse performs civil ceremonies.

  7. I live in Oklahoma. My fiancée lives in another state. Can we both apply and get married in Oklahoma?

    1. Hi Linda. Yes, you may both apply. Your residency is a nonissue.

  8. Hey, me and my fiancé are both from South Africa. I have a social security number because I work on a workers visa. She is on a visitor’s visa. Can we apply for a license?


    1. Hi Jacques. Yes, the requirements to marry in Oklahoma is the same for citizens and non-U.S. citizens.

  9. Me and my fiancé want to get legally married before he joins the Navy. We do not have the money or time for a traditional ceremony, but plan to have one in the future.

    Do we have to have a ceremony to certify the marriage certificate? If so, what are my options that won’t cost us a fortune?

    1. Do we have to have a ceremony to certify the marriage certificate?

      Yes, but the ceremony does not need to be elaborate.

      what are my options that won’t cost us a fortune?

      You can hire an affordable officiant. Explain that you want a short and simple service. Or ask the court clerk for a referral. Whichever turns out to be more cost-effective.

  10. How soon can we get a marriage certificate after we are married? I want to get my new wife a military ID and we need the marriage certificate to do that and get her enrolled in DEERS. Do we have to pick up the certificate in person or can it be mailed to us?

    1. Hi Dom. The fastest way to get a certified copy of your Oklahoma marriage certificate after getting married is to return your license for recording in person and ask for a copy before leaving. The earlier in the day you arrive, the better, as you may have to return later to pick up your copy.

  11. I read on the Tulsa County court clerk website officiants no longer need to file documentation with the court clerk if we have the paperwork in order.

    Is that true and is there any information required to be entered for the officiant on the marriage license other than the signature?

    1. Hi BLS. That's correct. Since November 1, 2022, officiants no longer need to file paperwork with the county clerk to perform marriages in that county or anywhere else in the state.

  12. My fiancé is from Ukraine and I intend to marry in Mayes Co, Oklahoma. What documents do we need besides passport? She has never been married and I divorced.

    1. Hi John. Your fiancé should bring a certified copy of her birth certificate and photo ID. Non-English documents must be translated. If these requirements are too onerous, contact the county clerk's office in advance to determine if they'll provide lenience.

      Keep in mind, Oklahoma does not issue marriage licensee to anyone divorced within six months of applying. If that doesn't apply to you, bring a certified copy of your divorce decree when applying.

  13. When returning the marriage license for recording, is it 5 business days or does that include weekends?

    1. Hi Nicki. You must return your marriage license within five calendar days, which includes weekends.

  14. I need information on how to locate a certificate to sign for a couple I have been seeing. She gave me this website but I can not find the certificate I need to sign.

    1. Hi Jo. You can obtain certified copies of marriage certificate from the court clerk's office that issued the originating marriage license.

  15. Dear Editor: The FAQs state that any Oklahoma judge can officiate at a wedding in Oklahoma. But on November 23, 2022 you replied in part to another question that "…no one at the courthouse performs civil ceremonies." I am confused by this. Are there not judges at the courthouse?

    1. Hi Judith. That comment was specific to Oklahoma County. That one county. The availability of judges to officiate weddings vary by county courthouse.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

Marriage License Blog

Check out the latest entries from our marriage license blog.