West Virginia Marriage License

If you're getting married in West Virginia, you must first apply for a marriage license.
It'll cost you $56.00, and you'll have to use it within 60 days.

See FAQ Offices

Where to Apply

How do I get legally married in West Virginia?

In order to get married in West Virginia, you must first apply for a marriage license at the county clerk's office.

Note: County residency dictates where you may apply.

Who will process my application?

The county clerk (a.k.a. clerk of the county commission) or their deputy clerk will process your application.


Does my residency affect the marriage license process?

If you or your partner lives in West Virginia, apply in the county of either's residence. Nonresidents may apply in any county.


How much is a marriage license?

A West Virginia marriage license costs $56. However, if you complete premarital education, the price drops to $36.

Does the marriage license fee include a marriage certificate?

The marriage license fee does not include a certified copy of your marriage certificate, which can be purchased for an extra $5.


Where can I use my marriage license?

Your West Virginia marriage license can be used anywhere in the state. It may only be used in West Virginia.

Can I use an out-of-state marriage license in West Virginia?

You must use a West Virginia marriage license to lawfully marry in West Virginia.


What information will I have to fill out?

The marriage license application will ask for the following information under oath:

  • Current name
  • Previous names
  • Birthplace
    • City and state, or foreign country
  • Date of birth
  • Mailing address
    • If ordering a marriage certificate
  • Residential address
    • No P.O. Boxes allowed
    • City, town, or location; county, and state
  • Email address
  • Telephone number
  • Social security number
    • Or passport, tourist, or visa number for foreigners
  • Martial history
    • Total prior marriages
    • Last marriage end date
    • Last marriage end reason (i.e., death, divorce, annulment)
  • Race or ethnicity
  • Highest education level
    • Elementary to college
  • Father's name and birthplace
  • Mother's full maiden name and birthplace


Do I have to apply in person?

You and your partner must apply for a marriage license in person, at the same time.

Age Requirements

How old do I have to be to get married?

Aged 18 and over?

If you're 18 years old or older, you can marry without parental consent.

Aged 16 and 17?

If you're 16 or 17 years old, you can marry with the written consent of your custodial parents or legal guardian.

Aged 15 and under?

If you're 15 years old or younger, you can marry with a court order and consent from your custodial parents or legal guardian.

What are the parental consent requirements?

What if my parents are divorced?

If your parents have equal custody over you, both must consent. Otherwise, only the sole custodial parent must approve.

How must parental consent be granted?

Parental consent can either be granted in person or with a notarized consent form.

What are the circuit court requirements?

Which circuit court do I petition?

You must petition a circuit court in the same county as the county clerk's office.

Do I go to the circuit clerk or county clerk first?

Secure your court order before applying for a marriage license.

Premarital Education

What's the benefit of completing premarital education?

The marriage license fee drops from $56 to $36 with a four-hour premarital education course certificate of completion that's less than a year old.

Waiting Period

How soon will I get my marriage license?

If you're at least 18 years old, your marriage license will be issued immediately. Underage applicants must wait two full days.

Note: The "two full days" stipulation does not include the day you apply.

Can the waiting period for minors be waived?

A circuit court judge in the same county where you apply can waive the two-day waiting period for extraordinary situations.

How soon can I get married after receiving my marriage license?

Your marriage license will become effective for use immediately after issuance.


How long will my marriage license last?

Your marriage license will expire 60 days after issuance, after which it is null and void.


Do I have to show ID?

Submit proof of age, such as a birth certificate (original or certified), driver's license, military ID card, voter's registration certificate, passport, green card, or visa.

Do I have to prove residency?

If your identification does not demonstrate county residency, bring a document that does, such as a utility bill.

Do I need to show my birth certificate?

Underage applicants must show an original or certified copy of their birth certificate.

Do I need to show my social security card?

You do not need to show your social security card. Just know your social security number.

Do consenting parents or guardians need to bring anything?

Consenting parents and guardians must bring ID. Sole custody parents and guardians must bring proof of custody and guardianship.

Blood Test

Is a blood test required?

You do not have to submit to a premarital blood test or physical exam?


Do I have to document my divorce?

Some county clerks will request a certified copy of your divorce decree if divorced within the past six months.

Is there a delay between divorce and remarriage?

There is no waiting period between a finalized divorce and remarriage.


Do I have to document my spouse's death?

If you were widowed within the past 30 days, you may be asked to present a certified copy of your late spouse's death certificate.

Name Change

How do I change my name after marriage?

Your marriage certificate authorizes a name change. You can use an online name change service to help complete necessary forms.


Do I have to bring witnesses to my ceremony?

Witnesses are not required to attend your marriage ceremony.

The Ceremony

Who can preside over our marriage?

Your marriage may be solemnized a family court judge, circuit judge, minister, priest, rabbi, or authorized representative of any religious organization.

Must officiants be registered?

Religious representatives must be registered with the Secretary of State. The licensing database is publicly searchable.

License Return

When must the marriage license go back?

Your marriage license must be returned to the county clerk for registration by the sixth day of the next month that follows the ceremony.

Who's responsible for returning the marriage license?

Anyone—you, the officiant, a friend, etc—can return the marriage license by hand or mail.

Marriage Certificate

How do I get a copy of my marriage certificate?

You can order a certified copy of your marriage certificate for $5 from the county clerk's office that issued your license.

Who is authorized to order a copy of my marriage record?

West Virginia is not an open records state. Therefore, only you, your child, or your grandchild can request a copy of your marriage certificate.

Do I have to register an out-of-state marriage in West Virginia?

West Virginia residents who marry out-of-state can optionally register their marriage certificate with the county clerk's office in their county of residence.

Proxy Marriage

Can I get married by proxy?

Marriage-by-proxy is not permitted in West Virginia.

Prohibited Marriage

Can I marry my first cousin?

You may only marry a first cousin if not related by blood.

Can I marry a member of my family?

You cannot marry a grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, sibling, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or blood-related first cousin.

Can I marry my half-sibling, ex-stepparent, or ex-stepchild?

Family intermarriage prohibitions apply to half-siblings and non-blood relationships established through marriage.

Common-law Marriage

Can I enter into a common-law marriage?

You cannot enter into a common-law marriage in West Virginia. However, the state does recognize legally established out-of-state common-law marriages.

Office Locations

Where will you apply?


Share your questions or comments


Leave a Comment
    1. Hi Josh. It's best to contact the judge's office or clerk in advance to determine availability. Make it know that you plan to apply the same day.

    1. Hi Glenna. You sentence was left training, so I assume you're needing a copy of your marriage certificate. If so, you can get a copy from the same county clerk where you applied for you marriage license.

  1. I'm from Pittsburgh coming to get married. I know I get my marriage license at the court house. Do we see a judge there at the court house to get married the same day?

    1. Do we see a judge there at the court house to get married the same day?

      You should schedule your ceremony in advance. It's risky to assume same-day availability. Contact the county clerk's office ahead of time.

  2. If an applicant is in the hospital on bedside how can that person obtain a marriage license?

    1. how can that person obtain a marriage license

      They can't. They must apply in person.

  3. My boyfriend and I are looking to get married while we are in town from Colorado. Can the courthouse marry us the same day that we get the marriage license?

    1. Can the courthouse marry us the same day that we get the marriage license?

      That's a dangerous assumption. Courthouse ceremonies are based on availability. If you know when you'll apply to get married, schedule your civil ceremony in advance to coincide.

  4. Do you need an appointment to apply or can you just show up? Cabell courthouse is only by appointment and our wedding is August 1st. They say they are booked up into August.

    1. Do you need an appointment to apply or can you just show up?

      You do need an appointment.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

Marriage License Blog

Check out the latest entries from our marriage license blog.